Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Limited no more?

Last week Leslie Wexner, founder of Limited Brands, sold majority stake in Express Fashions to a firm in California. The reason: Wexner wants to focus on intimate apparel and beauty & personal care products i.e. Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works. He's been selling off apparel branches for years now starting with Lane Bryant then Lerner New York. Rumor has it that the Limited stores are next. Living in Ohio, where Wexner started his chain, the Limited brand has been very influential in my style. Express in particular. Express is a great place for me to purchase daytime wear and night life fashions. I can say that Express is one of the first brands that began selling pants and jeans in different lengths, recognizing that not every woman is 5'5" tall. I will admit though that I have not been fond of Express' rising price points. I can recall a couple of years ago my sister and I ventured there for holiday shopping and found sweaters being sold there for $200! We were shocked and had to look at the name on the building to make sure we were in the right place. This is Express right!? Not sure if they were trying to keep up with the Versaces of the world, but I had to take a small break from that place.



The break was a small one and their prices are still higher than expected, but the clothing and accessories are still really cute. I always receive compliments when wearing an Express piece. News stories report that distribution centers and headquarters will remain in Ohio, so consumers may not notice or feel the change in ownership. I'll keep my eye on this story.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that. Well the prices are way too high anyway so maybe the new owner will get it together. - noel